Income requirements to Sponsor Parents & Grandparents

How much income do I need to sponsor my Parents & Grandparents for PR in Year 2022 (LICO 2019 to 2021)

You, the sponsor (and your co-signer, if you have one) must prove you have enough income to support all the people you’ll be financially responsible for once you become a sponsor. This includes you.

If you’re invited to apply, you have to provide proof that you meet the income requirements for each of the 3 tax years before the date you apply.

We can’t assess whether you meet the income requirements until you apply (if you’re invited).

Note: For the 2022 process, we’ll assess sponsors on their income for tax years 2021, 2020 and 2019.

This table applies to you if you live in any province or territory except Quebec. If you live in Quebec, the Quebec ministry in charge of immigration will assess your income.

Income required for the 3 tax years right before the day you apply (sponsors applying in 2022)

Total number of people you’ll be responsible for




2 people




3 people




4 people




5 people




6 people




7 people




If more than 7 people, for each additional person, add:




Since many sponsors may have been affected financially by the COVID-19 pandemic, the income requirement for the 2020 and 2021 tax years have been reduced to the minimum necessary income, instead of the minimum necessary income plus 30%.

Also, family class sponsors will be able to count these benefits in their income calculations for the 2020 and 2021 tax years:

  • regular Employment Insurance benefits (rather than just special Employment Insurance benefits)
  • any Canada Emergency Response Benefits issued under the
    • Employment Insurance Act or
    • Canadian Emergency Response Benefit Act
  • other temporary COVID-19 related benefits
    • as long as they’re not part of provincial social assistance programs

Note: This does not affect the income requirements for the 2019 tax year.

Combined proof of income between the sponsor and co-signer (for example the sponsor submits 2 years of notices of assessment and the co-signer submits 3 years) does not meet the requirements under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. Both the sponsor and co-signer (if there is one) must submit 3 notices of assessment, or equivalent documents, issued by the Minister of National Revenue. The assessments must be for the 3 taxation years immediately before the sponsorship application date.


To prove you meet the income requirements, you must include your Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for the last 3 tax years before you apply (2021, 2020 and 2019). The easiest way to prove your income is to give us permission to get your Notices of Assessment directly from the CRA.

Previous Post
Next Post
Excel Sheets